Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Leopard Lacewing eclosed


After lunch I went back and find that my Leopard Lacewing had eclosed. Out came the camera and everything. This time I endeavoured to do a real good direct shot of my butterfly. I had tape the vine firmly to the box beforehand. I tipped the box slowly on its side taking care not to alarm the butterfly in the slightest way. And, yes, I succeeded! I tipped the box upright again. No alarm caused. I left it. It wasn't ready to fly.
Four hours later, it sure didn't look ready to me. It hadn't stirred from the same perch. Kumari went near to take a look. The alarmed butterfly flapped its wings and dropped from its perch. A spot of red appeared. One wing got glued to the wet meconium it had passed out. I let it grab a pen and put it back on the vine. Half an hour later it was still hanging on, but after my dinner and six hours after eclosure, it fell on its back again. This time it couldn't get up:-(

No comments:

Post a Comment