Sunday, April 26, 2009

Casual Meeting on a Sunday Morning

Cousin Yu Zhu and Xiao Gu (Aunt)
Not feeling too good, I skipped going to church today and least expectedly bumped into my relatives who had absolutely no idea about where I exist on this vast island. They came in a big group from the Mahabodhi Monastery where they are volunteers. It was Mrs. Masie Ko, one of our Management Committee member, who brought them to the Home.
Xiao Gu (Mandarin term for addressing father's youngest sister) had just walked by my room when I came out of it to accept and thank the visitors for the Yakult they were giving out. Xiao Gu recognized my voice and turned around. As for me, my thoughts didn't go further than 'She's got a face that look like someone I've seen.
"Ain't you Mook Lin's daughter?" she asked. Anyone calling my father by name must be a relative. The 'match it' cells in my brain were slow but quick enough I recognized her. Beside her, however, stood a cousin whom I had not met. After being introduced, I tagged along with the group and naturally made of myself their tour guide. Mrs. Ko had known Xiao Gu and cousin Yu Zhu for quite a long time and was amazed to be told of our relationship. It is a small world after all and if not for my being home on this day, we would not have met. God could have planned the surprise all along.

No comments:

Post a Comment