Saturday, April 4, 2009

With GE to the Flyer

We'd been on the Singapore Flyer!

General Electric organised and took us to the Singapore Flyer today. Initially I was reluctant to go because I simply hated having to switch from my motorised wheelchair into my manual one for the Home outing. But everything went smooth and easy for me today. I got up as early as 5.30 in the morning and had plenty of time left for breakfast after the morning staff showered me. (Normally I'm the last to be bathed and come out as late as 10 o'clock.) Besides, one major reason that I hated being pushed on the manual is I get easily jolted out of my sitting position and becomes really uncomfortable and significantly weak with no one to put me back in the right position. But today, there were serveral staff following us and one of them, Kumari, knows how to position me well. Immediately on reaching our destination, her help proved invaluable to me and was the cause for my enjoyment of the trip.
Gathered in a room at the venue, Melissa, our programme co-ordinator had us play some ice-breaking games with the GE volunteers. We were assigned to our specific volunteers and headed in groups of four to our capsules. Osland, John, Peng Mun and me were in the first group with our volunteers, Eugene, Sonia, Evelyn and Sandra and Paul, our Home staff.
We were led off seperately to the boarding area. The staff of the Flyer actually stopped the ferry to let us board safely. Because of this, we were told, we will be in flight for a few minutes longer than a usual flight time. The cabin door closed and we took off in slow motion. Thought it wasn't only me who secretly hope that something would go wrong and get us stucked up there for awhile, nothing went wrong. We didn't feel the ferry wheel stopping for the groups of residents behind us. But it stopped once only for a little while when we were at the submit. All too soon, the flight ended and we were ushered out of our cabin and into the lunch reception room where we initiately gathered. We had the whole room to ourselves as we chatted and view the pictures Eugene had taken while we waited for the other groups and for lunch. Lunch was Japanese bento which didn't taste too bad for many hungry stomachs. Despite myself, I enjoyed the trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment