Saturday, January 3, 2009

The Palm King eclosed

Amathusia phidippus phidippus (Palm King)

=) My first time looking at this in real life. And wow, it's a big butterfly compare to the many medium and small butterflies I've ever kept. This one, with its wings folded, could just about cover the surface area of my palm. (Hmm? That puts a new meaning to its name.) It had climbed higher above the exuvia (the empty chrysalis case) to allow itself wing expansion space. So much for my worrying through the night whether I should have prop the thing higher. I woke up early and couldn't get back to sleeping excited to see the eclosure in process. But all I could do was lie and wonder about it on the bed until the morning shift staff came to put me out of bed at 6.45 a.m. The Palm King was out before I was up. Its bands of chocolate milo, creamy white and coffee milk colours conjured a delicious image of tiramisu cake in my mind. Once again, I give thanks to our Creator for delighting us with the creation of these beautiful insects. He created a myriad of creatures and took great care to put in the finest detail, down to every scale, down to every cell.
How many are your works, O LORD!
In wisdom you made them all;
the earth is full of your creatures. --Psalm 104:24

No comments:

Post a Comment