Wednesday, January 7, 2009

The trouble with the Balloons

Volunteer Christina organized and got many of her friends (and her sister Daisy as well) to sing us a delightful medley of songs yesterday in celebration of the Lunar new year. There were lucky draw of prizes and ang baos and colourful balloon sculpture, all to bring on a festive mood. After the celebration, the playful staff let go some of the balloons. I found one strayed balloon sculpture in the carpark before I went to bed. Lugging it back, I met Jason, my brother-in-law, half-way and got him to pluck out the blue, foiled, star-shaped, helium-filled balloon. Night staff Kumari came to put me to bed. I handed her the balloon and a problem: what to do with a floating balloon without a string? We looked around and eventually jammed the balloon in the gap between the window blinds and the wall cupboard. That was brilliant idea, we thought.
At 12.30a.m., I woke up to a series of 'bangs'. Someone was opening fire. That’s my first thought. Haha, look what reading too much mystery thrillers had done to me. The balloon was free and was banging into the rotating ceiling fan. I triggered the call bell for help. Kumari caught the balloon, feign annoyance and brought the balloon out of my room. I laughed. Kumari is one of the kind, gentle, soft-hearted girl around here. I woke up in the morning, and there, tied to an empty wheelchair is two star-shaped foiled balloons green and orange in colour.

No comments:

Post a Comment