Friday, January 2, 2009

A Palm King 'ripens' and brought back at last

Here's a picture of us.
That's me with Peng Mun beside me and his brother, Joseph Loke, who had came to visit. Joseph had brought along his camera and is keen to get some shots taken. Here's my opportunity to get a Palm King pupa shot in its natural surrounding. I led him outside the Home where the underpass is.

A big green caterpillar had pupated on the ceiling of the underpass near our Home. When I found out that it was a pupa of a big Palm King butterfly, I was determined to get it. In my enthusiasm, I had failed to take into account that the chrysalis is filmly attached to the cement ceiling by the caterpillar's strong silk. In the process of collecting, I regretfully caused the demise of the to-be-butterfly. What followed was a half hour spent mournfully in Chong Boon Park with Peng Mun trying his best to console me to no avail. Enroute home, I looked around and, to my consolation, found another chrysalis on the palm tree near the underpass. This time, I left it where it was but returned everyday to check on it. This morning, when I go to check on it, I took note of the colour change. The part of it where its compact folded wings are is begining to show up with a distinct colour from the rest of the body, a clear sign that the butterfly is ready to eclose the next day. If I don't bring the chrysalis home with me, I'd never be able to catch the butterfly itself. Up till today I have only seen pictures of this butterfly and have yet to see one in real life.

After some pictures are taken, Joseph readily returned with a container and a pair of scissors. The object of my attention was snipped from the tree and brought to my room. Now then, begins my eager wait for the morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment