Monday, December 29, 2008

Eclosed Hawkmoth-Enpinanga borneensis

Enpinanga borneensis is the name of this hawkmoth which Gan left on my table for me last week. It was 6 plus in the evening when I returned to my room after dinner today. Seeing that the moth had eclosed spurred me to do a double quick wash up. Then out with my camera, plastic bags (I usually get good picture results with a grey plastic bag as the background for a closeup), book-light (for backup lighting), pen or a stick to pick up my star and get it into position and a rubber non-slip mat too, to rest my hands in a steady position.

Some unusual props indeed. Anything just so I can get a good enough picture for my keeping. Since I can't hold a camera up at all, I got to count on my subject to co-operate with me. Moths are more accommodating in this than butterflies. I must add, that's for me, coz I know you can just as easily capture a butterfly, newly eclosed, on camera.

I clicked away and got a number of blurred shots. Finally I decided I spent enough time on it and let it go on a shrub outside my room. This is about the clearest shot I took.

No comments:

Post a Comment